Tuesday, July 10, 2007

peace corps eve!

our flight to miami leaves in 6 hours! we have to have all our luggage ready to go in the lobby in 1.5 hours. that's right, we have to be ready to go at 2:30 am. it's going to be a loooong day.
staging has been great. i'm so happy it was in dc because i got to spend time with and say bye to my friends here while meeting all the trainees who i will be with for the next 27 months. it's a nice transition. plus, the hotel is on dupont circle, my favorite part of the city. i feel so lucky.
my training group is great. there are about 50 people and they all seem very nice and i'm sure i'll form very strong relationships with them. it's hard right now because there are just so many people and it's hard keeping track of everyone and their names. but there will be lots of time to get to know everyone.
tommorrow we land in honduras in the early afternoon and go to our host families. i'll probably just have to say 'hola, nice to meet you, i'm really tired, i need a nap.' i'm so curious about what my famiy will be like.
right now i feel excited more than anything. i don't think i've ever been so excited about anything in my life. that also has to do with the fact that this is the biggest decision i've ever made. i feel like Peace Corps is the absolute perfect fit for me. if i didn't do Peace Corps now, i would get a job in DC. so being in DC now and seeing the two side by side- PC and DC- i can for sure say that Peace Corps is what i want. although i would love to live and work in DC, i'm not ready to do that yet. i feel so lucky to have the opportunity to go to Honduras and benefit from all my time there will offer and i hope i can give back. there is honestly nothing i'd rather be doing now.

1 comment:

A said...

Hey, I found your blog on the Peace Corps blog site. I'm waiting for medical clearance but was nominated for Health in Latin America for Feb 2008... and according to the Yahoo group, Honduras might be where I'll be sent. Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading :)