Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Books I´ve Read

I´m posting a list of books I have read. I havent been reading that much since I moved into my new house, but in Oct-Dec I was reading so much. Some of the books I brought with me, a few were sent to me, and most I borrowed from other volunteers.
Books I have read since coming to Honduras, in order of being read, with country of the setting in parantheses:

Pillars of the Earth (12th century England)
*True Confessions of an Economic Hit Man (all over the world)
Snow (Turkey)
*The Piano Tuner (Burma)
Mosquito Coast (Honduras)
News From Paraguay (Paraguay)
*The Bookseller of Kabul (Afghanistan)
An Open Heart (Dalai Lama philosophy/theology)
The Other Boleyn Girl (16th century England)
The Little Prince
*A Thousand Splendid Suns (Afghanistan)
Prep (United States)
American Gods (United States)
Memoirs of a Geisha (Japan)
The Boleyn Inheiratance (16th century England)
Dreaming in Cuban (Cuba)
Honor Lost (Jordan)
Zorro –in Spanish (early 1800s California and Spain)
The Reader (Germany)

* These books I would highly reccomend to anyone, and which were especially useful to me from a Peace Corps context. There are a few other books on the list which I really enjoyed but I would only reccomend to certain people, so ask me if you're looking for a good book. I´ve also read a lot of magazines, mostly Newsweek, The Economist, and National Geographic in Spanish.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually saw The Other Boleyn Girl movie which just came out over here twice already. It was really good.

Kristyn said...

i really want to see that movie! and natelie portman is in it!

Anonymous said...

Well now you know one of the reasons I saw the movie twice ;-)

Lyra said...

Oh geez, Natalie Portman *eye roll* LOL jk Mike....but YES the movie was fantastic, I highly recommend seeing it! :-)

WOW don't think I've read that many books over the past five years!

Executive Hippie said...

Next time you come to Teg, Can I borrow the Moquito Coast? I have read almost as many books as you, but not a single one about Honduras and I feel like I should.

Anonymous said...

I just finished The Kite Runner (so good) and definitely plan to read A Thousand Splendid Suns next. I wish I had more time to read. Sigh.

Megan

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristyn -

I hope you have a nice Easter. Will you be getting together with any of your fellow Peace Corps workers?

Wish you were here!
XXoo
Laurie

Anonymous said...

HAPPY EASTER KRISTYN !!!! :)

Who says that? said...

Hi Kristyn! sounds like you've been doing a lot of reading. I'll bring you some other books in June when I come too (I hope I have room in my suitcase since I'm bringing you clothes and cookies and bread and bookes-hehe).!