Friday, October 24, 2008

natural disasters

there´s been a lot going on here the past week. Last Friday there was a huge landslide up in one of the mountains, which wiped out an entire aldea (village). Luckily, they had some warning and everyone got out in time, but they lost everything in their homes. Then the dirt from the landslide fell into the river, creating a large, natural damn. So whenever this damn breaks, all the water behind it will come rushing down the river. About 5 aldeas down the river were evacuated. There are hundreds of evacuees staying in the school and in the munincipal meeting room of the town next to mine, and about 25 people staying here. So I´ve been going almost every day to play with the kids and keep them occupied. They are just waiting; they can´t go back to thier homes until the damn breaks. I have to say the local government, police, army, and NGOs have been very organized taking care of the evacuees and keeping everything in order. Also, throughout the country, there has been a lot of flooding, and, in certain parts, tremors. So people are being evacuated all over. It´s pretty crazy. The other volunteers near me and I are safe, and Peace Corps is well aware of the situation. In other news, I have a friend from the US coming on Tuesday, so I´m excited about that. It´s fun having visitors.

2 comments:

Who says that? said...

I'm glad that you're safe. It's nice of you to stay and play with the kids there too. I'm sure they have fun with you...coloring or whatever it is that you're doing. BTW those colored in pictures that you sent me were really funny. I couldn't tell which ones you'd colored in and which ones a child had...hehehe. Aww...that's mean. Anyway, I miss you! <3<3

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristyn! It has been awhile huh? I have been keeping up with your adventures! I am glad your safe and enjoying your work there, I wish I could come visit but you and I know that won't happen till I am finished with what I have to do here. Take care Cuz I miss ya!

Love always--- Mike O.