Friday, November 21, 2008

futbol and café

Wednesday night was a big soccer game, Honduras vs. Mexico, playing in Honduras. As a fundraiser for the library youth group, we set up the projector in the community center and showed the game in there. They charged a little for entrance and sold popcorn and pop. It was fun watching the game on such a big screen. Honduras won, 1-0, so of course everyone was super excited. Thursday morning I went to pick coffee in the farm of one of the old men who sells in the market. Coffee picking is hard, dirty work that pays practically nothing. I just went for the experience and to spend time with people. I picked a decent amount, they said. It’s definitely not something I’d want to do on a regular basis. At least it wasn´t raining. It’s been pretty cold this week, but not too rainy.

Right now, I’m putting together a group to plan activities for World AIDS Day, which is December 1st. We decided to make it a week-long event and have things each day, from the 1st to the 6th, and end the week with a little parade, Sat the 6th. It should be good, but there’s a lot of work to do.

On Sunday I think I’m going to a wedding. It will be the 3rd wedding I’ve gone to in the past month. Weddings here are definitely different than in the US. It´s fun going to different weddings and birthday parties and seeing how people celebrate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are having some fun with parties beside all the work. Is Aides a major problem in Honduras? Lv, Aunt Eileen

Who says that? said...

Hi Kristyn! I forgot that the 1st was World Aids Day. That's nice of you to organize an activity for it! Also good to know that if you ever need to you can be a coffee picker, nice to have different things to fall back on :)

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I miss you and I'll see you so so so soon!
Love,
Becky