Thursday, August 9, 2007

El Paraiso

We`re in FBT now, Field Based Training. It`s in El Paraiso, a town near the Nicaraguan border. I really like it here and I hope I get a similar site. It`s a good size, and not too terribly hot. Honduras is much hotter than I realized in some regions. I`m going to have trouble if I´m sent somewhere where it`s always 100. Anyway, today we made a map of the town, which was a lot of fun.
I love my host family here. They`ve never hosted anyone and they`re really excited about and all are super nice and friendly. I have a 22 year old host brother who goes to school in Teguc but is on vacations now. There are also two older children who don`t live at home. My family has a chicken farm, which my brother took me to see yesterday. I`ve never seen so many chickens in one place. They slaughter them and then sell the chicken out of the house. I´ve never had such good chicken though. And my host mom has this really nice friend who is always over and yesterday we went to her house and she has mango, avocado, and guava trees, so we got some fresh fruit. My host mom`s also a great cook, so I´m really happy about the food situation.
We`ll be having spanish classes in the mornings and will be doing community projects in the afternoons. There are only 14 of us here, so we`ll probably get pretty close in the next month and a half.
I`m so happy we get to do training in a big town and I got lucky with my host family. Hopefully it will continue to be good.
Also, keep sending me text messages! It`s free for you through the website and it`s free for me to recieve. I love to hear from people!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

¡Hola Kristyn! Estoy tan contento que usted se mejora alimento ahora. El pollo que tiene es es como en casa. ¿No cocinaron ellos pollo en Honduras? Quizá usted los puede enseñar a cocinar la pizza de pollo. Ponga apenas la salsa, el pollo y el queso en una tortilla.
¿Tienen ellos estufas y hornos como hacen? ¿Tienen ellos el aire acondicionado? ¡Interesa muy y emociona a aprender acerca de otro país por mi nieta!
¡Goce todo usted puede y permanece seguro!
¡Adórele tanto!
Grandma Jan

sarita said...

that sounds really cool. it's awesome that your host family has been so welcoming. it's kind of daunting not knowing where/with whom you will live. what are your living conditions like?

i love reading your blog, keep posting!

Anonymous said...

Buenas Tardes, Kristyn!

I'm so glad to hear that your host family is nice and that you're having such a positive experience. It must all feel so surreal.

We're in Portland this weekend visiting Kate and my dad; it's only in the 70s here and that's hot enough. I don't think I'd make it very long in Honduras. You'll get used to it in no time though.

The chicken farm thing reminded me of that scene from Napoleon Dynamite. Just make sure you don't catch bird flu next... you're on a roll with exotic diseases.

Talk to you soon... keep writing us!
Love,
Megan

Kristyn said...

i was totally thinking of that napolean dynamite scene when we were that! it wasnt that bad though. and they actually had a lot of space to walk around and all, which is better than a lot of chicken farms, so that was kind of reassuring.

Who says that? said...

HI KRISTYN! It was good to hear from you this weekend :) Did you have to watch the chickens being slaughtered? That's pretty intense...

Yeah I don't think I'd like that.

Glad to hear things are going well :) I'm off to NYC in an hour to go see Mae in concert w/ Katelyn! I'll let you know how it goes...

I miss youuuuuu