Thursday, June 5, 2008

Parades and Parties

I´ve had an exciting couple weeks. The 23rd and 24th of May I went to La Ceiba, on the North Coast, for Carnaval, probably one of the biggest events in Central America. It´s similar to Mardi Gras, but Honduran style, and near the beach. My friend from my training group is a volunteer there, so those of us who went stayed at her apartment. On Saturday there was a really big parade with horses and fire trucks and lots of floats. On the floats there was music and dancing and people throwing bead necklaces. I thought it was really well put together, I really enjoyed it, even though I often don´t like parades. We stood in the central park to watch the parade. The park is beautiful with lots of big old trees, and there were tons of people selling food, jewelry, clothes, and other things. All along the streets people were selling things too.

Toward the end of the parade, we were walking along the sidewalk to meet some other friends, and walking down the sidewalk toward us was the president, Mel Zelaya, and he paused and shook our hands! I shook hands with the president of Honduras! I lived in DC for four years and never even saw the US president or anyone important.

Saturday night was a big street party. There were a bunch of band stands set up with music and dancing. It was a lot of fun. I really like La Ceiba as a city, it´s the third biggest city, but it´s not as dangerous, dirty and crowded as Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula. It was a really great cultural event to go to.

The following Wednesday, we had our regional safety and security meeting, so we got to meet all the new volunteers in the area. They all seem really nice. And we got to stay at a nice hotel in Santa Rosa.

Sunday was my towns feria inauguration, so they had a little parade. The people in the munincipal office told me I could ride a horse in the parade if I could find a horse. So I borrowed my neighbor´s horse Sunday morning and rode down to the park. The park was full of people waiting for the parade and the other people on horses were lined up and the school band was waiting, and they all thought it was really funny I was riding a horse. But, as we were waiting, the horse got really scared because of all the noise and motorcycles and other horses, and was beign really skittish and not doing what it was supposed to. So people were laughing and I decided there was no way I could ride that horse in a parade, it could be dangerous. I rode the horse back to my neighbors and walked back to the parade. I did have fun riding the horse, but I just couldn´t in the parade.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristyn,

Remember me? I miss you and can not wait till you come home in July. It sounds like you had fun and a good thing you did not ride the horse. It is better to be safe then sorry. Just wanted to say Hi and tell you, I miss and love you. See you soon. Love Ya Kathy

Anonymous said...

I hope you got pictures of you riding the horse :) I have got to see this, and also the parade sounds pretty neat with all the others riding horses.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTYN !!!! :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BITHDAY DEAR KRISTYN...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

love, Megan

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristyn,

Hope you had a nice birthday. We are leaving for vacation tommorrow can not wait. See you in July. Love Ya Kathy

Who says that? said...

Hi Kristyn! I had fun visiting with you in Honduras :) I hope you're having a good week, so far, and I'll talk to you soon!!

Miss you already. You can come to NYC when you're home in July, right? jk jk (I don't want any of your family members to read this and think I'm trying to steal you away from them)

<3
Becky