Monday, July 14, 2008

things i miss about the US

I leave in a few days for the US! My first trip home in a year! In honor of my trip, I'm posting about things I miss from the US.

-Family and Friends (of course) I really miss people and I miss being among people who really know me and who have known me my whole life. I miss certain conversations and jokes and memories.

-DC I love Washington, DC. I really enjoyed living there. I like that you can walk around and that there's a good public transportation system. It's pretty, it's international, there's always a lot going on, there's free museums and monuments and lots of history. I miss living in DC.

-Food The food here isn't bad, I enjoy it, but I just really miss food from the US.
I miss good ice cream and good bread. There isn't really any good bread here. Like sourdough and wheat bread, etc. Also, I never liked hamburgers, but now I get cravings for a good hamburger, mainly just because there are no good hamburgers here. I miss barbeque. I miss skim milk and cereal. There's skim milk here, but it's not the same. And there's not as wide a variety of cereals, and the good cereals I can't afford. I really like cereal. Also, I miss salads, especially spinach salads. Big salads with lots of vegetables. There's a lot of food I miss, I can't really list it all. I plan on eating non stop while I'm home.

-Hot showers I've always really liked showers. Here, I have no hot water, and sometimes my water pressure is really bad, so the shower doesn't even really work. So if I want a warm shower, I have to heat water on the stove, dump it in a bucket, and take a bucket bath. It's just not the same as a real shower. I never feel really clean.

-Cleanliness- In general, I miss things being clean. Streets without garbage in them, houses that aren't bug infested, dishes washed with hot water in a dish washer, clothes washed with hot water in a washing machine, etc. Just the idea of cleanliness.

-Bathrooms- not that there aren't bathrooms here, but adding on the cleanliness theme, I miss clean bathrooms that are complete with toilet paper, water, soap, and towels. Also, there aren't really public bathrooms, and people are awkward about letting you use the bathroom in thier house. So finding a bathroom is always an issue. I miss being able to go into any fast food restaurant or Starbucks to use the bathroom, or being able to ask to use the bathroom in someone's house without it being weird.

-Internet- I miss having internet in my house. Having wireless internet and a working laptop seems so amazing right now. The idea of looking up any information at anytime, or of talking to someone online at any hour, is just incredible.

There's a lot more I miss, like museums, and safe clean cities, and good stores, and malls, and good places to run, and more, but I have to go now because my time is up on the computer and this little girl is standing next to me staring over my shoulder, because she wants to use the computer to play some game.

I can't wait to see everyone!!!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

And we can't wait to see you, Kristyn!!! I'm looking forward to hearing all of your stories this weekend. :-)

I love you lots,

Uncle Tim

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristyn, sorry I will miss you in Chicago by just one weekend. Our first trip there was so awesome, we did so much all four days, non-stop (pics up on my website like always). And we will also be in NYC this Sat. and your other home town of D.C. on Sunday. We just keep missing you by a week :( Have fun coming home !!!

Who says that? said...

Kristyn! Thanks for commenting on my blog :) It always makes me happy to have a comment from you.

I like your list of things you like about the US. You're probably on the plane home right now. Hope you have fun and I'll talk to you soon!

xoxoxoxoxo

Who says that? said...

Every time you comment on my blog I feel guilty that I don't read yours more. But then I come to your blog and you haven't really written anything so I don't feel so bad...just kidding! anyway, doogie howser is AMAZING. It's so funny and ahead of its time...might be my new favorite show. I hope you're having a good day!

-Becky